SULFURIC ACID SPILL
Sulfuric Acid Spill (In the event of battery acid leakage)
- Neutralize the spill with soda ash or baking soda. Use 1 pound of baking soda to 1 gallon of water.
- The acid reaction is complete when it stops fizzing. Make certain that the acid is neutralized by checking the pH is neutral between 6 and 8.
- Absorb neutralized material onto clay or other absorbent material, if necessary. If the spill is very large, contain the spill with earth or clay dikes.
- Brush under the battery connectors and remove all grime. Rinse the residue from the battery with clean water with a hose.
- Report the incident to your supervisor.
- Determine proper disposal by contacting local environmental authorities.